JPEG is an acronym for Joint Photographic Experts Group, is a commonly used image format for storing and transmitting the photographic images on World Wide Web (WWW). JPEG image format is mainly used by digital cameras and other photographic image capture devices. JPEG format uses lossy compression technique for storing the images, where some of the original image information is lost and cannot be recovered, possibly affecting the image quality. However with increase in technology JPEG compression method employs lossless and interlaced progressive JPEG format for compressing the images but they are not widely used. The common file name extensions for files employing JPEG compression format are .jpg and .jpeg, .jpe, .jfif and .jif. The main advantage of this format is it takes less volume to store more data. However the most frustrating situation arises when you lose your favorite JPEG images from camera, iPod, camcorder, smartphone, hard drive, memory card and from any data storage device. In such situation don’t be panic and make use of image recovery software in order to retrieve JPEG files.
JPEG image loss situations:
- Accidental Formatting: Most of the media devices provide “Format” option. While previewing the photos or searching something in camera if you accidentally press format button then all the files along with important photos residing in memory card of camera will be deleted leading to complete data loss. Unintentionally formatting the drive containing important JPEG images instead of formatting some unimportant drive lands you in picture loss. Since formatting the drive erases all the data stored on the drive and creates new file system.
- Accidental Deletion: We have a habit of deleting unwanted photos in order to make room for storing new ones. While deleting the photos accidentally selecting “Delete All” button in any media devices or deleting the files using “Shift + Del” key on computer removes the files from the device.
- Storage Device Corruption: If the device on which the files are residing like memory card, hard drive, USB drive gets corrupted due to some physical or logical problems then the images become inaccessible. For example images residing on the bad sectors of the hard drive cannot be accessed without an image recovery software.
- Interrupting File Transfer: Interruption while transferring the images between memory card and computer due to sudden system shut down from power surge, abrupt removal of memory card from card reader before the file is completely written to memory results in image loss.
- Virus infection: Virus is the most hazardous stuff which can infect and corrupt the data. They replicate themselves within a short span of time and infect all the files stored on any data storage device making them inaccessible. Sometimes you may format the device to get rid of virus but it not only removes the virus but wipes out all the data from the device and you cannot get back the data without photo recovery software.
Other than these there are so many reasons which stand in queue to take responsibility of JPEG image loss. In all situations use image recovery software to recover JPEG pictures from flash drive, hard drive, iPod, external USB drive and other data storage devices. Along with images it can also retrieve renowned media file formats based on their unique signatures. This software is designed by group of experts with good programming knowledge so that its easy to use interface allows any no voice user to restore the images. You can recover deleted RAW images from DSLR camera brands such as Nikon, Sony, Canon, Olympus, Panasonic and many more. This application is equipped with powerful recovery engine which scans the drive sector by sector in order to restore the files on both Windows and Mac based systems.
It is an effiicient Photo recovery software for memory cards, USB drives, External hard drives and memory sticks. It can recover Micro SD card pictures after corruption of memory card due to faulty Firmware, file system corruption, abrupt removal of memory card from computer during data transfer. Download and install the demo version of the software to evaluate the chances of recovery. It provides preview of the recovered data if you are satisfied with the result go ahead and purchase the software to save preview results.
Steps to recover JPEG images:
Step 1: Download and install the software, After launching the software a window pops up with three options like "Recover Files", "Recover Photos" and "Recover Partitions/Drives" . Out of the three options select "Recover Photos" as shown in Fig 1. From the next window choose either "Recover Lost Photos" or "Recover Deleted Photos" based on your requirement.
Fig 1: Main Screen
Step 2: Now select the drive from which JPEG images are to be recovered and click "Next" to initiate the recovery process as shown in Fig 2.
Fig 2: Select the Drive
Step 3: Immediately after the completion of recovery process a window pops up with the list of retrieved JPEG files as shown in Fig 3. Select the required files and save to secured location.
Fig 3: Recovered JPEG Files