People always love to take photos when they are with their family, friends or colleagues in some special events. Advancement in the technology field has changed the entire concept of taking photos and method of saving them on the storage media. Instead of saving pictures on a printing paper, they are initially stored on the memory card used in digital devices in the form of the digital files commonly known as RAW image files. Digital cameras, camcorders, Smartphones and other digital gadgets are used to capture pictures in digital form. Digital photographs are easy to shoot, require no extra effort and very convenient to use. These digital pictures can later be transferred to the hard drive or external storage drive when memory card space becomes full.
Despite these advantages, loss of digital photos is unavoidable in some cases. You will feel sad and get exasperated for losing some valuable digital photos as a consequence of accidental deletion, format and other issues with the memory card or any storage media. Relax, don’t lose calmness, this page will guide you about how to retrieve deleted RAW image files from DSLR cameras or external drives after the accidental data loss. Image recovery utility helps you in restoring pictures that are deleted, lost or missing under any given circumstances on Windows Vista, XP, 7, 8, 10, Windows Server 2003 and 2008 operating systems. Industry specialists have rated this utility as the best software to recover digital photos from the storage media.
Possible reasons for loss of the digital images are:
- Unintentional deletion of pictures: You might mistakenly delete images from the camera memory card by hitting on Delete All button while previewing photos or by using “Shift+Delete” keys from your computer while deleting unneeded files.
- Formatting memory card: Complete photos on memory card gets erased when you click on Format card option while searching for specific files on your digital camera in haste or careless handling.
- Formatting the storage drive on the computer: Sometimes you may receive error messages like “Drive X: is not formatted, Do you want to format it now”, “unrecognized drive” etc. when you connect your storage drive containing digital photos to the computer for file transfer. In such cases, it's necessary to format the drive to solve data inaccessibility issues.
- Unreadable photos due to corruption: Sometimes the system shows the drive containing digital images as empty or does not allow you to access image files present on the drive. Photos become unreadable in the event of storage drive corruption due to file system corruption, virus infections, bad sectors, formatting/reformatting errors, wrong operations, etc.
- Errors during the transfer of Photos: Interruptions/errors during the transfer of digital photos from the camera to computer as a result of the abrupt removal of the drive, sudden computer shutdown, power failures, switching off the camera, etc. could either damage digital images leaving them inaccessible or lead to the loss of photos.
Is it possible to restore the digital images?
Yes surely, still users assume that when digital images are erased, they are permanently lost from a memory card. However, that is untrue. In reality, the digital images are stored on a memory card as files, which is another form of information. After deletion or loss of pictures due to format/corruption of memory card, the pictures are not actually erased from memory card space. Instead, that space on a memory card is just labeled as free or reusable, so that it can be used for saving new images or media files. This is why the camera or the computer can no longer identify lost photos from the memory card. So one can get back lost digital images from the memory card just like any other information by using professional software like image recovery. Same applies to other storage drives as well.
Tips to follow after loss of the digital photos:
- Remove the memory card from your digital camera and keep it in a safe place
- Avoid using the same memory card for taking new pictures, videos or adding media files to it
- If you have lost pictures from a secondary storage drive, stop using it for saving new files
If you do not follow these tips, then lost photos might get overwritten with new images on the drive from which you lost photos. Quickly download and install the demo version of digital image recovery software on any healthy Windows or Mac computer. Connect the drive to the computer, run the software and follow the simple steps shown by its user interface to restore pictures. You will get a list of restored pictures after digital photo recovery process, where you can preview any intended image before saving them to the desired location.
Image recovery software for recovering digital pictures
Irrespective of the cause for loss of pictures, you can unerase digital photos in a few minutes by using digital image recovery software. As long as the images are not overwritten by new files and drive is physically healthy, you have good chances of digital photo recovery. This picture recovery tool has the ability to restore generic picture types like JPEG, JPG, TIFF, TIF, PNG, BMP, GIF and PSD along with RAW image formats. It can be used to perform photo recovery from corrupted MicroSD card and supports digital image recovery from a MiniSD card, SD card, xD card, CF card, SDHC card, MMC and Memory Sticks used in digital devices.
With the help of image recovery program, it is possible to get back media files i.e. photos, videos and songs deleted/lost from memory cards, iPods, hard drives, external drives, etc. If you have lost/deleted the favorite JPEG images from any data storage devices then don't be panic. Make use of JPEG file recovery software to learn how to recover JPEG images from any data storage devices on both Windows and Mac OS based system. It can restore the JPEG images after accidental formatting, accidental deletion, virus infection, storage device corruption and interruption of the file transfer process.
This application also has the potential to carry out restore pictures from a Pentax digital camera in order to get back PEF RAW image files. In addition, you will be able to recover RAW photos including CR2 & CRW from Canon, ARW & SR2 from Sony, NEF from Nikon, ORF from Olympus, KDC, K25 & DCR from Kodak, DNG from Samsung, X3F from Sigma, RAF from FujiFilm and so on. Other than Windows, it even works compatibly on Mac Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, Mavericks, Leopard, Snow Leopard and Lion operating systems to retrieve the digital image files. This multifunctional tool can even restore deleted pictures from Android operating system based devices such as Smartphones, Tablets etc.
Steps to recover digital photo using the image recovery program
Step 1: Download and install the software, connect the flash memory card or external drive the computer and open the main window of the software. Select "Recover Photos" as shown in fig 1.
Fig 1: Main Window
Step 2: Select "Recover Lost Photos" from next screen and then choose the storage drive from which you have lost pictures and press "Next" to start the data recovery procedure. After scanning the drive for digital image files, you will get a list of recovered digital RAW photo files as shown in fig 2.
Fig 2: Recovered RAW Photos
Step 3: If you wish to view any photo, select it from the recovered file list and right-click on it to preview completely as shown in fig 3.
Fig 3: Preview Digital Photos